Thursday, September 21, 2006

Mistake?

Have any of you been following or heard anything about this story?

Third preemie dies after drug mistake

I heard about this for the first time on the news last night and I can not get it out of my head. Maybe I'm just overly hormonal but this story makes me angry beyond belief. It makes me angry and it makes me terribly sad. How do you call what this hospital did a mistake?

In exchange for killing these peoples children the hospital is offering to pay for counseling and provide restitution. How do you put a monetary price on these people's little miracles?

What angers me even more is that this has happened before at this very same hospital. In 2001 they did this same thing to two other patients, their only saving grace there was that they both lived.

Now I know shutting down the hospital is probably not the answer, but SOMETHING drastic needs to happen. They are killing people's children!!

The only thing further I can think to say is that my heart aches for these families and it makes me want to keep this little man inside of me just a little while longer to know he's safe.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah... i do not know if there is anything that hospital could ever do to "repay" them for their loss. It was however a mistake.. and I cannot imagine what those nurses and doctors feel after having given these babies that injection... There needs to be a BIG change at that hospital... but unfortunetly shit like that happens... it shouldn't... but it does.

Tink said...

OMG. This just makes me ill. I can't imagine what those families are going through. I just can't fathom.

OMH said...

Murder - not premedetated but ending a life just the same! If they had hit a child with their car - even though it was a mistake they would be facing charges. So why isn't the one who put the drugs in the wrong place to begin with being held accountable through our legal system?

I cannot even begin to understand how to comfort those poor parents! I know they had better NEVER receive a bill from the hospital!

Anonymous said...

This too makes me sad. But......having worked a large part of my adult life in hospitals, believe me when I say, mistakes will happen. Unfortunately, this has happened to our most vulnerable patients, the premature babies. But look at the big picture here. With all of the issues facing healthcare these days, this hospital, like so many others, is probably staffed with underpaid, overworked nurses, pharmacy techs, etc. who are trying to do the work of 2 1/2 people just to save the hospital a few dollars. It's a tough environment to work in. Trust me when I say, no one (besides the family) is more devestated by these deaths than the nurses who gave the medication. What we as a society need to do is make sure that steps are in place to keep tragedies such as this from ever occuring. And one of those steps is ensure that profits are not above patient care.
Just my two cents.

lonna said...

The saddest and scariest part to me is that Methodist is a really good hospital. I used to live an hour north of Indy, and they would fly people to Methodist if they needed more care than they could provide locally. To me that means that it could happen anywhere. I was also really upset when I read the word restitution. That means buying someone a new car door, or a new front door, but never human life.