Monday, July 31, 2006

Shopping, Part 2

Well... this trip was marginally better than the first shopping attempt while pregnant. I didn't have to wander for 5 hours through 3 malls and I was not made to look at overly thin, cute girls in dresses I will NEVER fit into again.

However, it still posed the same problem as before. I'm not really comfortable with the changes that are happening to my midsection at the moment. I think if I was shopping for actual maternity clothes, this would be different because they are supposed to fit someone whose stomach is much rounder than the rest of her. But as it is, trying to fit my ever growing midsection into a small little bridesmaid dress just doesn't work all that well.

Almost everything they had in the store was a 10. Now as anyone who has shopped for wedding or bridesmaid dresses knows, most of the time these things run small. Since in NORMAL times, I usually wear between an 8 and a 10 who wants to take bets on how many of these dresses actually fit around my mid-section. Anyone? Anyone? Yes... that's right... NONE!!

The girls that work in the shop tried to squeeze me into the first dress that I had on. It took two of them to get the zipper zipped. One held the top and the other one yanked. Yup... feeling great here... thanks!! After that, I decided that there was no need to torture myself when I could just hold them in the back and Lindsay could get the effect. Besides, my niece was with us and so once she found one she liked we had her try it on to make sure she liked it after it was zipped!!

After the uncomfortable half naked dress event, I got dressed in my regular clothes and the lady measured me. Apparently my top puts me between an 8 and a 10, my hips put me in a 10 but my middle puts me at a 16. I suppose that explains the zipper problems!! I went ahead and ordered the 14 knowing that they could take it in but it would also help me not to feel like I HAD to starve myself in the seven months after the baby is born. Of course my mother was appalled that I would order that large of a size. She didn't think there was any way I would need larger than at 12. I'm crossing my fingers that she is right, but I'd rather it be way to big than way to small!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do never know - but chances are (especially if you breast feed) that you will be back into normal size by then! 6 months is a normal time for you to be feeling like yourself again..

Creative Genius? said...

I am with ya sister!! I look at all of my pre-pregnancy clothing and wonder how on earth I am ever going to get into them again?!?! I can't even imaging shopping now for a wedding post baby... that would be a nightmare -- I think you did the right thing (ordering the bigger size) and you'll feel sooooooo good when you have to take it in! (Much better than if you didn't fit into it at all!)

No worries - this baby will be so worth it that it won't matter if you fit or don't fit into a dress because the baby will make up for it!

:-) AL

Anonymous said...

Um...the amazing shrinking breastfeeding mother trick doesn't work for everyone or for every pregnancy. Some parts of your body may never go back to pre-pregnancy size (hips and feet - what's that about?). When you look at those cute little girls, remember their bodies never have gone through the most wonderous transformation known to human kind - creating and nuturing a life. Time to attack your body image issues head on. You may not be a size 8 anymore, but you are a beautiful MOTHER.