Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Counseling Appointment

So, I've been trying to make a counseling appointment for two weeks now and I've come to a conclusion. If I didn't need counseling before this I'm going to when I'm done!!

Here's the story. On the 10th I sort of kind of had a little break down. Ok... I lost my shit entirely... are you happy now?? Anyhow, my doctor is no longer practicing and the counselor I used to go to is no longer in the phone book and the phone number has been disconnected. (All the crazies drove her away too....) So I e-mailed my previous doctor to ask her for a recommendation as I wanted to go to a counselor with at least a little knowledge of addictions.

She gave me the name of two people but also suggested I go to see a doctor in her former practice because with a referral from him I may be able to get in sooner or to a specific counselor who might not be taking patients unless they are referred.

So I make an appointment with him on Thursday. Zack had an appointment at 1:00 so I figured I would go to his and then to mine at 2:00. His appointment, however, took longer than I planned so it was 2:15 before I got to the doctors office and they wanted me to reschedule. No problem. I wasn't jumping in front of a bus yet so I rescheduled for Tuesday, the 17th.

On Tuesday I saw the doctor. I don't like him as well as my previous doctor, but he will do for what I need him for. He gave me the name of a counselor and told me the nurse would make me an appointment. So I waited.

She came in and told me that she was going to call and I could wait in the waiting room. 20 minutes later she decided that she would just call me with the appointment that day or on Wednesday at the latest. So Tuesday came and went... no call.

Wednesday was the day of the flu and so the phone didn't ring and amazingly enough I never even noticed!! Then Thursday when I was feeling a little better I noticed. So I called the doctor's office and left a message. No one called me back.

Friday I called and talked to the nurse. She told me she wasn't the regular nurse but she didn't see any notes in my chart about it. So, she recommended that if I was not ready to jump off a bridge perhaps it would be best for me to wait until Monday to speak with the regular nurse.

So we have now made it to yesterday. Yesterday I call and leave ANOTHER message. Then I have a slight mental breakdown complete with crying at my desk and foot stomping and a general feeling of just wanting to go home, crawl into bed and not get out.

The nurse finally calls back at 1:00. She lists off a couple of people who are not on the list I have from my insurance provider so I agree to fax her the list and she says she will call, make me the appointment and call me back that afternoon. So I wait. And then I wait. Did I mention to you that I waited?? I did... ok... just checking.

At 4:15 I had not heard anything so I called back. She was on the phone so I left another message for her to call me. No one called. This morning I waited. No one called. So at 10:45 I called back and talk to the secretary. The same one I have been calling for over a week who also happens to thing it is F-ing ridiculous that it is taking this long.

The nurse was in a room with a patient. She took my name and number and now I'm doing what....

wait for it...

wait for it....

That's right...

I'm still F-ing WAITING!!! That bus is looking better and better!

9 comments:

KK's Mom said...

Hi Heather. Just reading this is making me want to jump in front of a bus for you. Jeezus already. What is so difficult about this for the nurse? Hang in there...

Jessica said...

I told you...tell them you are (clear my throat) a threat to yourself and wal-la...you get right in. :) They play games with you ... you play games with them.
GRRR - I am so mad that you finally ask for help and they won't help you! Do you want me to call them...let me at'em let me at'em.

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Oh my god I am f-fustrated for you too! I think that this is terrible! You need to seriously get the doctor on the phone... write a nasty email-- tell them how terrible it is to make a patient that obviously is crying out for help to wait like you are. MY GOD!

Laura said...

That is bullsh*t that they are giving you the runaround like that. If you're able to get away, I would suggest heading back over to the doctor's office and refusing to leave until you have an appointment booked. It's easy to ignore you on the phone but not so easy when you're in their face demanding results - they'll probably do what you want just to get you to leave.

Anonymous said...

I think the face to face is a good idea. Or tell them thanks I got over it and just ignore the news for the next couple of days!! :) Good luck getting in I know it's hard to find someone good to go see. I had to go to KC to get a good one after all my s**t!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jess. Tell them you are suicidal and they will get you in within a couple of days if not that day.

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

No no - Suicidal may not be the route to choose-- they may lock you up! Let's not go that route unless it is the truth! :)

OMH said...

Forget your jumping in front of the bus - lets push the nurse and then see if she calls you back!!!

Can you call yourself - one of the providers on your list and just tell them what you just told us and that you are NOT Suicide but are seeking help before it comes to that!

thisbearbites said...

If you really want to make changes, go in and ask for the office manager. Then raise hell. Everyone answers to he/she who rules the budget and deals with 'legal'.