Friday, April 28, 2006

Plot Foiled

Okay, I'm going to post something totally un-related to us to try to take my mind off the fact that it is day 19 and I STILL have not ovulated. Apparently my ovaries are attempting to be that minute percentage that don't ovulate consistently while on the same dose of Clomid. FUN times.

Oh, and also to take my mind off the fact that Jake's doctor can not get him in for a physical until the 8th of May so we probably won't be able to even start our 30 to 60 day wait for state approval until May 15th or so.

Okay... I'm not doing a very good job of distracting myself... on to other topics....

On Wednesday night my friend called me to tell me that someone had stolen her credit card. Well rather her credit card number. Lucky for her they were dumb criminals, as most criminals tend to be, and they did not know that to use a credit card without the ACTUAL card you also need the expiration date.

So, imagine her surprise when she went to pay for her shopping purchases and was told her card had been declined. Imagine her further surprise when she called the company and was told that someone had tried to charge numerous amounts on-line to her card but had gotten the expiration date incorrect. So, they hadn't actually charged anything, but the card had been shut off until the matter could be sorted out. (As a side note, don't you think a call front he credit card company would have been appropriate here instead of them just waiting for her to use it and then call them? I don't know, maybe it's just me.)

Anyhow, while on the phone with the credit card people they tell her that to cancel the card and have a new number issued her husband would have to call in, because he is the primary card holder. Yeah... problem. First of all, her husband does not pay the bills nor does he use the card so he has no idea which charges are real and which ones are not. Secondly, and most importantly she had used that card to buy him a super secret surprise birthday present.

Let me give you a little background information. In September her husband will be thirty. For as long as she has known him he has been a sports NUT. One of his favorite teams is the St. Louis Cardinals. So, while looking at games on-line she notices that they have a game on his birthday. She starts rolling this idea around in her brain and formulates a plan. She will buy tickets to this game in secret and surprise him.

Her master plan is to call his boss and request the day off for him. Then that morning as he's getting ready for work she will drop the bomb on him. No, you are not going to work today, I have your bag packed get in the car and let's go. She figures by the time they start heading towards St. Louis he will figure out where they are going, but by then she will still get to see the look of pure joy on his face.

So, flash back to the credit card lady. Jess tries to politely explain that her husband can not call in because he does not know about these tickets and obviously he will notice a $500 charge for tickets to a Cardinals game. The credit card lady, undeterred, explains that there is no way that she can cancel the card without the primary card holders authorization.

This is when Jess looses it. She begins to explain to the credit card lady, this time in a not so subtle way, that she will not allow her husband to call in unless she has this woman's guarantee that they will only go over the charges from ONE billing cycle. If they only go over the charges from the previous bill her husband will not see the ticket charge. However, if they go back any further he will most definitely find out and ruin her entire master plan. Finally the lady agrees.

She lies...

Jess's husband calls the company and at first they just go over the previous bill. Then somewhere in the process they decide that they will help him log on to the internet to view the bill on-line so he can see the charges as the woman on the phone is reading them to him. And this is where the bottom falls out of Jess's master plan.

At first he tries to play dumb, like he didn't see anything, but he slips up when he tells her, "Yeah and then we went back to the bill from February." Jess begins to, pardon my language, freak the f*ck out!! So her husband, still trying to play dumb attempts to cover his tracks. Well you see, I saw a charge for tickets, but I don't know what they are for.

In the end, it all comes pouring out. He knows what game and when he looks that game up on-line he will also know what date. So, by the time I hear this story at 8:30 on Wednesday night Jess is just devastated. She had worked so hard to try to plan this big surprise for him and it was all ruined. In her eyes the entire weekend would not be the same. I think one of the the worst parts for her was that her husband didn't understand what the big deal was. As far as he was concerned this was still and AWESOME present. I tried to explain to her that he would still be just as excited to go to the game, but it was to no avail.

So my questions to you lovely readers: Have you ever planed a big surprise, only to have it ruined? How did you deal with it? Any encouraging but we still had a great time stories would be great. Jess could really use the cheering up and me... well I'd just like to hear the stories to keep my mind busy!! :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, this was kind of how we ended up telling our parents that we were pregnant with P. I'd planned on waiting until we got our 7 week u/s pictures. Which was going to be, conveniently, right before Mother's Day. I found an album with "Grandkids" on the front, and was going to have the u/s as the first picture. Wrap them up and put on a card saying "Do not open until Mother's Day." Then mail them out and wait for the calls to come in on Mother's Day morning. J blew it. On Easter, my mom said something about how he would be a great dad (she'd been pushing for grandkids for a while) and J said "Oh, tell them, tell them, tell them!" I was really disappointed--we'd waited so long to get pregnant and I really wanted to tell them in a fun way, and didn't get to. We still did the album thing, but it wasn't nearly as much fun. No, it didn't diminish their excitement in receiving the news, but it diminished mine as the "giver". So I can totally understand why your friend is so upset.

BTW, have you ever been tested for PCOS? Because Clomid resistance, which it sounds like you're having, is one of the big hallmarks. My first RE put me on Clomid without ever testing me for it, for 3 cycles: 50, 100, and 100. 50 did nothing. I ovulated reasonably early on the first 100 dose but the second did nothing. You might want to consider asking about the test--it's pretty easy to do. And I got pregnant with P my first full cycle on Metformin (the standard first treatment for PCOS) without any Clomid. Just some assvice--make of it what you will!

OMH said...

I understand where your friend is coming from! I also understand how the Husband is still excited. But the whole delivery is GONE! It's like someone blurting out the punchline 1/2 thru your joke - you finish the joke but it's just not the same!

Tink said...

That's horrible. Stupid credit card people. I already thought they were pretty soul-less. :/

I once had a suprise party that was ruined by a hurricane. Evidently mother nature was in no mood to party.

Bob said...

Heather, can you email me? I want to make sure her card isn't from the company I work at.

That is very poor customer service.

thisbearbites said...

Something like the big storm that knocked out the electricity to the church during our evening wedding? My friends tried to cheer me up by telling me I looked like a ghost.
Years later, I helped my brother and his wife elope, turns out the whole town found out the secret; everyone except for the parents involved. Is the surprise ruined when everybody knows, but nobody tells?

electriclady said...

My maid of honor planned a big surprise bridal shower and bachelorette party for me, and my husband accidentally let it slip and ruined the surprise for me. I would have LOVED to be surprised, but I still had a great, great time. It helped that all I knew was that there was going to be a party, but I didn't know exactly what we were doing and who would be there, so I still was surprised to see one of my bridesmaids who had flown 2,000 miles to be there.

(Also, I never told my MOH that I knew about it...to this day, 4 years later, she still brags about how she surprised me! I thought it would be a lot more fun for her that way, and it didn't take away from my enjoyment at all. :)