Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Birthday Surprise

Yesterday was my birthday. I don't say this to illicit belated birthday wishes, although they are more than welcome. I say this as a segue into why I took an entire day off in the middle of the week to go shopping. Yes you read that right, the girl who hates shopping actually volunteered to go. Although it was only for two hours, so I didn't feel too overwhelmed.

Anyhow, my friend Danette and I dropped her oldest off at preschool and then we went to Wal-mart and Target. At Target I proceeded to try on about 30 items. Really, the women behind the counter were laughing at me!! I ended up buying three swimsuits, and now I'm thinking to myself, what in the WORLD do I need THREE swimsuits for. I think I may take one back. Buyers remorse, it's a killer.

After shopping (can you really call it shopping if it was just Wal-mart and Target?) we picked up Emma and I headed out to meet Jake and his Grandma for lunch. His mom is waitressing at a restaurant so we went there for lunch. It was kind of surreal having her as our waitress as I'm not sure I've ever been out to eat at a place where I knew the waitress on such a personal level.

After lunch I went back to Danette's and we went on a walk around her neighborhood because it was B-E-utiful outside yesterday, and really, if I hope to fit into those swimming suits I need to walk!! When we got back Emma was sitting on the couch and Matt told us that she had cut her foot on the deck but wouldn't let him bandage it up.

Upon closer inspection we noticed that she had not cut her foot, but had instead gotten the biggest splinter I had ever seen in my life. Seriously, this thing was like and inch to an inch and a half long and her feet are not that big!! I would have cried like a baby if I had a splinter like that!! Matt & Danette tried to get it out but Emma was screaming like they were trying to kill her and writhing all around on the couch, so they ended up taking her to the doctor to have him take it out.

After I left their house Jake and I went to my parents house for yet another meal out. (These new clothes are not looking promising...) After dinner we came home and I think we were both asleep before 10:00. This getting old is hell!!

Anyhow, this morning at 6:45 am my mom called to tell me that her colt had been born on my birthday. Apparently they had to pull him and he was born around 11:50 just barely making him my birthday bandit. In honor of that fact his name is now Brooke's Gold since my middle name is Brooke and his dad's name had the word Gold in it.

I don't know about you, but I think that's a pretty nice birthday surprise!!

1 comments:

Jen said...

Happy belated birthday! How wonderful that you and the colt share a birthday, and that he's named in honor of you! You're right, that's a pretty sweet birthday surprise!