Wednesday, May 10, 2006

WWPM Award

Okay, I am the WWPM!! (World's Worst Pet Mom) What did I do you ask? What could possibly earn me this title? I left my boy outside all night, by himself.... and I didn't even look for him!! In fact I had no idea he was out there until 5:30 this morning when I went to let the dogs out and there was a cat on the back step.

"That cat looks a lot like... OH MY GOD that's LEX!!"

My poor baby!! He was SO traumatized!! He came right in and had to eat half a bowl of cat food just to recover. So let me give you a little background on how this happened.

Last night when I got home from getting the suitcases for our upcoming vacation I noticed that the dogs were still outside in the pen. I was irritated because it was 7:30 and I knew that Jake had been home since 4:30 and could have damn well let them in himself. (But that's a rant for another day!!)

When I went over to the pen and opened the gate Jack took off towards the trees. I, being naive, thought that he was going in there after a stray cat or even worse a opossum or a raccoon, so I yelled at him to get over here and he came out of the "woods." Looking back I now know that my scared little boy had heard his mommy's voice and had ventured out of his hiding spot to show me, "Mom, I'm outside and I'm not supposed to be." only to be chased back into hiding by the dog.

Once I got to our back porch I noticed that the back door was open but being annoyed by the dogs and preoccupied with all I had to do to get ready for the trip I thought nothing of it. I just figured that Jake had not closed it tightly and when the dogs hit it with their head it opened. So, I went about my evening routine, got something to eat, and went upstairs and watched a movie. Never realizing that my poor boy was outside scared and alone.

That is of course until 5:30 this morning. I feel just awful, and I am SOO thankful that he did not get out onto the road. If you remember, this is not the first time this has happened. It is, however, the first time that his mom didn't come looking for him. Maybe next time the door is left open he will think twice before venturing into the big bad outdoors, either that or I'll have to sell the husband for leaving the door open.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sell the husband...keep the babies!

Have a fantastic trip, call me if you need anything, see you when you get home!

You are coming home, aren't you? :)

Heather said...

Maybe... maybe not....

I've always wanted to live somewhere warm!!