Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Decay of Western Society

Or at least of me... according to my sister.

I spent all weekend with my sister. She is just finishing up her first year of medical school and consequently is at the stage where she is pretty convinced that she knows everything. To say it is annoying is an understatement. A BIG understatement.

Look, I know that eating Burger King is probably not all that good for me. But hell... it tastes pretty good!! I DO NOT... however, need to spend all weekend being lectured about how the trans fat in the french fries that I love so much is going to damage my brain cells. Or about how if I become pregnant it will damage my baby because it is not broken up by my body and will therefore travel through the placenta and cause irreparable damage to an unborn child.

When I got to work yesterday, she had sent me some medical articles stating that trans fat MAY compromise fetal development. Not that it will, just that more studies need to be done. Isn't it funny how to a first year medical student MAY is the same as IS? For now, I think I will continue to enjoy my once a week or once every other week indulgence. Get back to me when MAY turns into DOES.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Give me a flippin' break! If she wants to follow her own advise and not eat TRANS FATS than that is her perogative. However, If you want to "ruin your brain cells" and eat some REALLY GOOD GREASY food once in a while or even TWICE in a while that is YOUR perogative. You should not have to tip toe around her to do it. That was sure nice of her to share her theories with you though!

Tink said...

Oh for cryin' out loud! Tell her you love her and to LAY OFF. Before all these studies, women were eating and doing whatever they pleased and I don't think it's hurt our population any. You're FINE.

#1 Dancer said...

And to that I say, FOOEY.
I am anti Trans Fat and Partially Hydrogenated Oils, but I think my kid will be happier with Trans-fat-laden fries than nuthin'! I will go with the fries, please. Oh, and frosties have proven to be successful too... Me thinks I know what I'm having for dinner tonight.

Anonymous said...

It'll get worse--pretty soon she'll start thinking she has every rare disease that they discuss. Every med student I've ever known has done that to some extent. And I know a lot of them.

Trans-fats are bad for you but you know that already. What exactly does she hope to gain except for you to start avoiding her phone calls when she comes up on caller ID?

Lynanne said...

LOL! First and second year medical students are a riot. After they progress from spending all night looking up their own symptoms and the deadly diseases that cause them, they will start trying to pathologize and diagnose conditions in family members and friends.

Guess what? There is another chemical that is more ubiquitous than trans-fats that you should avoid certain types of contact with, especially if you are trying to getting pregnant. Inhaling it is especially damaging but if you ingest too much of it it can cause all sorts of problems as well.

Better start checking package labels for dihydrogen monoxide. For more information on this horrible substance, see:

http://www.snopes.com/science/dhmo.asp

Jody said...

When I was pregnant with Brenna I craved Sonic burgers & tots. Didn't hurt her a bit. Eat on, girl. Plenty of time after the baby is born to worry about food intake.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't your sister drink? Why don't you ask her, or lecture her rather on all of the damaging effects of alcohol?