Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Got Nail?

Warning: At the bottom of this post is a picture. If you have a weak stomach you may not want to look. There is no blood, but some people just don't like anything even remotely gory!! There you go... you have been warned. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

On Friday at around 11:30 I came back from the ATM to find that my cell phone was ringing. It was Jake which is not unusual as he sometimes calls around lunch. When I answered, I could tell from the tone of his voice that something was just not right.

"Hi, I wanted to tell you I'm alright...."

Oh dear lord... what did he do? Earlier in the week he stepped off the plywood that covers the basement and fell bruising his tailbone and shin so my first thought was what did he fall from now.

"...but I have a 16 penny nail through my finger."

"You have a WHAT?"

"Yeah, I was framing and I shot the nail gun once and when I pulled it back it fired again and the nail went right through my finger."

"So where are you going?"

"Well, I tried to pull it out with pliers and I couldn't get it so my boss is taking me to urgent care"

"You tried to do what? Oh never mind, do I need to come there and get you?"

As it turns out it was only a 12 penny nail (still looks painful) and his boss took him to urgent care and then picked him up. Unfortunately he had ridden with a co-worker and was pretty much useless for the day so I went and picked him up around 1:00.

Today he is back to work for the second day and the holes seem to have closed up. (They had to leave them open and let them drain and close on their own.) He's still on antibiotics but the nail just grazed the bone and didn't break it, so he's pretty lucky.

AND even better and more lucky for you.... he had the presence of mind to take pictures so that I could share with all of you the glory that is the nail. (Which he kept... don't ask me why!!) No, that is not blood on the nail. It went through so fast it didn't have a chance to bleed. That is the red from the stripping that holds the nails together in the nail gun.Unfortunately, it rained on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday so he was already short on hours and this made it impossible for him to make some up this weekend. The fun never ends at the Hamilton household does it??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my... yeah- the first time I looked at it I did not realize it was going through his finger. Amazing it is not bloody! EWWW

Lynanne said...

OMG OUCH! That looks more like a 12 quarter nail than a 12 penny nail. Heck, it looks more like a 12 half-dollar nail. Do they make 12 $100-bill nails? (Yes, I'm an idiot when it comes to construction terms. My father would not be proud. Though, I do understand 'gauges' since they use the same term for the diameter of needles.) OWIE, owie!

In any case, thank goodness it wasn't more serious!

Anonymous said...

Dang Jake! That had to hurt.

Kate Durham said...

This reminds me, I was just wondering, have you ever heard of these nail files? They work on Acrylic and natural nails. I have tried them and they are incredible! I’ve never heard of anything like them before. They are much healthier for your nails than any other nail file out there. They are made of crystal, so they are also earth friendly. They are also non-porous so they don’t absorb bacteria! I have been trying to spread the word about these things so here is their website... Top Notch Nail Files.