Thursday, August 17, 2006

Skywalk ramblings...

When I got into work today after my doctor's appointment (I'll post about it on the baby's site..) I rode down in the elevator with some woman. She seemed normal enough when I got into the elevator. Here's the conversation that followed...

"Hi, how are you today?"

"Good"

"So how did you decide to wear that heart necklace today?"

Noticing that she is also wearing a heart necklace it seems like a normal enough question, "I have warn it every day for 10 years. My husband gave it to me."

"Oh really. So, are you from Iowa."

"Yes."

"Is your husband from Iowa?"

"Yes"

"So, does he beat you?"

What?? Huh?? Did I just hear her right?? "Um... no."

"Oh really, because I've noticed that there seems to be a trend of violence among Iowa men."

"Well, I guess that depends on where you are in the state. We do have some hicks here..."

"No, I think it's pretty much all men here. So how did you get so lucky not to have yours beat you in 10 years."

Thinking maybe I can just joke with her to lighten the mood I try out this line, "Well, I started early. Beat some sense into him starting when he was 15."

She didn't laugh. I think she thought I was serious. "And he didn't beat you back?"

"Um... no." By this point I was beginning to be very uncomfortable. I just wanted to get away from her but she kept walking right beside me.

"Well you must have gotten really lucky. I've just been really un-impressed with the quality of Iowa men. They seem to all be very violent here. Maybe it's your culture."

"Um... maybe."

By this point maybe she got the hint that I didn't really want to talk to her so she started to speed up. As she walked away this was her parting comment, "Well, have a nice day. Good luck not getting beaten by your Iowa husband!!"

As soon as she was out of earshot I called my friend Katie. "So did you say anything back to her."

"I couldn't. She was OBVIOUSLY crazy. I was afraid if I angered her she would attack me!!"

So.... how was your morning??

What is the strangest random comment or conversation you have ever had from a total stranger?

2 comments:

Tink said...

LMAO... Get out! That totally sounds like the creepy crap that happens to me. I'm rubbing off on your girl. "Does your husband beat you?" *Snort* I wonder if she escaped from the looney bin or was on her way?

Jen said...

Wow, that is truly one of the most bizarre elevator conversations I've ever heard! The few conversations I've had in elevators don't even come close.