Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Luxury or Necessity?

The following is an e-mail conversation I had with a friend on Monday:

"So, how was shopping on Saturday?"

"Well, I ended up spending $150 on Saturday. But I bought a lot for that (I think). I bought: 1 pair of Tommy capri’s, 1 pair of Tommy shorts, 1 pair of Jones New York capri’s, 1 long sleeve zip up, 1 pair of jean capri’s, 2 jean skirts: one long and one short, 1 pair of khaki pants, 1 plain red shirt, and some gap khaki shorts for my husband. I think I am going to go back and buy these khaki capri’s that I saw but didn’t buy. I am pretty happy with my buy’s. I bought a purse a couple of weeks ago and then I decided I just didn’t need it so I returned it and decided I needed all of these clothes instead and I even had over $100.00 left over."

Gasping for air and almost falling out of my chair....

"YOU SPENT OVER $250 ON A PURSE???"

"The one I am carrying right now is a $250+ purse and you went bonkers when I bought it too. You think I am bad, my mom is carrying a Louis Vuitton that was $1000 and no I didn’t accidentally add one to many zero’s. The only up side to that is my uncle bought it for her as a gift because he knows that she has wanted one for a long time. My husband spends an assload on his golf clubs and golf and his truck accessories so my thing is purses. Besides, I don’t spend money on things that most woman do, like salon visits or manicure’s and pedicure’s and my vehicle is paid off. $250.00 isn’t even a car payment. I told you I am a purse snob! You can’t say that you weren’t warned."

"Dear lord... you are giving me heart palpations just thinking about it!!!"

"Oh come on! I am sure that you have let Jake spend that kind of money on something similar because I know that you wouldn’t! Well maybe you would for 50 movies or something."

"Jake has spent that kind of money on two things. A gun and a bow and arrow. ONE time purchases. Not re-occurring like you need a purse every year type of things. I think once... a long time ago... my mom bought me a purse for $70 and I about shit a brick...

This one I think I got for $30 or $40 and I thought that was EXPENSIVE!! I need a new one... but I just can't justify it..."


"Well deary guns and bows are not always so “one time purchases” they break, or get lost/stolen, and they need all of these accessories to make them work. I spend a little more on a purse and it could last me years. Although it never does because I am sick of it way before then.

I don’t think that I spend money foolishly on things I see my friends spending money on. I don’t have hobbies or other expensive likings so I justify it. Although I am becoming a Pottery Barn snob too."

So, in the effort of fairness, I went back and looked. I did a search for everything that we have spent more than $200 on in the last 4 years. (Yes, I'm a geek and I have all of my finances in Quickbooks. It comes in handy for situations like this!! :-)

A Lawn Mower.... Um... not thinking that counts....

Movies... see... she was right about the movies. Although I bought about 50 movies last Christmas, so individually... not even close to the $200 mark

Jake's Bow...

Jake's Gun...

Power Tools...

Jake's Scent Blocker Suit...

Shall I continue?? I'm back to 2004... I know, we are boring people...

So, what is your weakness? (Or are you cheap like me?) Designer Shoes? Name brand clothing? Expensive toys (that would be Jake's)? French perfume?

Mine? I pay $100 every year for a new pair of tennis shoes. Living dangerously aren't I?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thing I didn't tell you about the $200+ perfume set. :)
The most expensive possession we own are: Shane's golf clubs = $2000; give or take a hundred dollars and THAT is a definate weakness of his.

A lot of people have expensive things they probably don't even think about: Jewelry, Formal/Wedding Dresses, Antiques etc. AND Anyone who has a hobby has some money wrapped up in that like: Scrapbooking, Beading, Baking, Movies, Hunting, Fishing etc.

Back to your question....we have weaknesses for: purses, perfume and lately photography, OOOH and Pottery Barn-LOVE Pottery Barn, and Golf, Truck Accessories, Hunting and Fishing.

There....all of my dirty little secrets are out for everyone to know.

Lynanne said...

*snicker* "...guns and bows are not always so “one time purchases” they break, or get lost...." Yeah, get lost and break all the time.

This may be saying too much about me, but I honestly cannot remember the last time I bought something new for myself or for the kids. I *love* people who buy enough to clothe a third world country and then clean out their closets every few months and have a garage sale or consign their stuff.

My husband and I do have a weekness for toys. I have my camera and he has his ipod and numerous other gadgets

Anonymous said...

Hmmm..... the last thing I spent over $200 for was my guitar and that was 4 years ago. Am I really that boring?

Anonymous said...

The Last thing I bought for myself that was over $200 was a plane ticket to Atlanta. Before that....
..... ..... ..... I have no clue. My husband has in teh past bought things that were high dollar though.. Snow Mobile, Boat. but those things you have for a LONG TIME.

lonna said...

We only spend big money on technology, and then about once a year. We have bought 2 digital cameras since 2001 and we bought a digital camcorder. But we decided that since we were becoming parents, it was totally worth it:)

I also buy a new pair of New Balance for about 90 bucks once or twice a year. We're going to blow some big money since we bought the new house, but we're hoping to do it over a long time. We need some new furniture and other decorations.

Anonymous said...

My real weakness is clothes, I probably spend on average about $100 a month on them but it tends to be in spurts, so I'll go three or four months buying no clothes and then go on a little shopping spree.

The only other thing I really spend much cash on is a mini-vacation once or twice a year. Chris and I will go away for a long weekend and spring for a hotel, restaurants and flights.