Monday, December 19, 2005

Moving on....

I've had a lot of trouble deciding when I should take down (or rather move down) the last post about Clint. I wanted to honor his memory as long as I could, but at the same time I can't leave that last post up for ever. I think now is the appropriate time.

Today we had the funeral. It went well, there was a good turn out. His son, Adam, said some very touching words and he ended his speech with this: "In the movies the hero never dies, but this is not the movies, and my hero is dead. Goodbye my hero." Needless to say he had everyone crying.

It really makes you think about what people would say about you, or how they would remember you. From the interactions that I have seen of Adam and his dad when he was alive, I'm not sure that Clint knew that he thought so much of him. So often in life, we don't tell others how much they mean to us until they are gone.

There was also a girl that showed up from Hy-Vee. She said that every time Clint would come into the Hy-Vee he would go through her line and write a check. She knew him from that line, and those checks. Other than that, she had never spoken to him. But she said when she saw his obituary in the paper she just had to come. It was very touching, and it really makes you think about how you touch the lives of people in your every day life.

I think Clint will be truly missed, but I also believe that he is in a better place. A place where there is no more pain, and no more misery. I think next weekend will be hard, but I also don't think that Clint would want us to cancel Christmas. Maybe this was just his way of making sure that we all got together for the holidays and remembered what they should really be about. Family, and not presents.

0 comments: