Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Jake's Deer

I know you have all been on the edge of your seats waiting for these pictures. I'm sure you have been checking the site 10 times a day in anticipation.... so... without further adieu, I present pictures of Jake's deer.

On a quick side note, I'm going to post a few times in the next two or three days to get all caught up on all the things I was supposed to be posting last week.

So... the deer story. This year, for Christmas (early Christmas) and his birthday Jake got a new bow. In the past two years that he has been hunting with his recurve bow he has yet to hit anything. (Except for that unfortunate trailer tire incident...) Anyhow, this year with his new bow he was sure he would kill a monster deer.

Opening weekend of bow season he went out with his friend and he came home with a German Shepherd... okay... maybe a small Great Dane. As soon as I saw it, I said..."It's a baby!!"

"It's not a baby... it is a small button buck. I just wanted to see if I could shoot something with this new bow."

"Okay, I thought you said you got a doe."

"Well I thought it was a doe at first. Actually I was aiming for this really big doe that was in front of it but she moved behind a bush and this one came out so I shot it."

"That's because it was her BABY!!"

"Are you trying to make me feel bad?"

"You shot BAMBI!!"

"It wasn't Bambi, it didn't have spots!"

Needless to say, I didn't take pictures of that one. So then opening weekend of shotgun season came on December 3rd. Now in Iowa you are not supposed to bow hunt during shotgun season. Jake, however, decided to ignore this and sat in a tree stand on the 3rd. That is where he got this deer....

According to Jake, this is the biggest deer that he has shot thus far and definitely the biggest with a bow. Personally, I think it looks a lot like the one he shot with his gun last year. :-)

Because it was so cold the week of the 5th, this deer sat (or rather hung) in our garage as a solid brick of deer for 6 days. When they took him over to our friend Matt's dad's house to cut him up he was so frozen that they were able to stand him up.

0 comments: