Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Growing up

I don't have any children, but I do have a little sister. Granted, she is only two years younger than me, but to me, her getting older feels a lot like a child of mine getting older. Every time something happens to her I keep thinking, "That's not right, she's too little for that."

Recently her and her boyfriend have been talking of marriage. Right now she is in medical school (guess we know where the brains in the family ended up) so their talk has been largely dependent upon where she does clinicals and residency. To me it has just sort of been a fleeting concept. Someday, they might get engaged, sort of thing.

Then a couple weeks ago, her boyfriend asked me to do his tax return. There was a little mixup with the information and it sort of got lost in snail mail for a week or so. (NEVER rely on the internet for addresses... the internet lies. Remember that.) Anyhow, during that week I asked her why he was in such a hurry to get his refund and she just drops the bomb on me.

"Well, he was thinking about going ring shopping. Right now we are talking summer of 2007."

What?? I almost dropped the phone!! My little sister was thinking about getting.... (gasp)... engaged?? But she's too young for that!! Never mind that she is almost 24 years old and that is 6 months older than I was when I got married. That is neither here nor there and COMPLETELY beside the point!! She's still a baby!! She can't be getting married!!

LA, LA, LA... fingers in my ears. I don't hear you......

But alas, I think I must eventually face the inevitable. If I'm this freaked out about my sister growing up, can you imagine how I'll feel about my children?? Can anyone recommend any good drugs?? I might need them!!

4 comments:

Jen said...

I definitely feel that way about my younger sister. No matter how old she gets, I think I will always feel protective of her.

Anonymous said...

Ah, big sisters like big brothers are always that way, protective in a sense. My big brother is still like that to this day. And I won't say what age I'm pushin'!

Ditsy Chick said...

Yes, waaaay too young. Of course, if she is going to date the guy anyway, may as well get it over with.

Tell her congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Well maybe you could share all the annoying marital stories we both have, that could change her mind!
LOL