Thursday, March 02, 2006

Word Games

Jake says program, as in I'm watching this TV program. It drives me absolutely CRAZY. As in I want to scratch my eyes out with a dull rusty spoon crazy!! It's not a program, it's a TV show!! Programs are what little kids have a school. Christmas programs, holiday programs, etc.

He also says pitcher, instead of picture. Every time he says it I say I don't have a pitcher, but you can see this picture.

In his defense, I say ompen. He ridicules me greatly for this. My mom said ompen, my sister says ompen and consequently I, of course, say ompen. It's not that I can't say open. If I think about it when I'm talking I will make sure I say open, as too not let on as to exactly how redneck I am. But if I get in a hurry, it's ompen all the way.

Our poor children don't stand a chance. They are going to be door ompening, pitcher hanging, program watching freaks!! :-)

So what words to you use? What words does your significant other use that just drive you crazy?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is kind of like....
warsh and wash
ount and aunt
and my sister-in-law says
pojomas or pojahmas,
and a girl at work says
hafing instead of having
drives me nuts!

Tink said...

I hate when people say "brung" instead of "brought." I live in the south though, so I'm pretty lenient to all the other country slang. There's a lot of "Fixin' to" and "Warshing" around here.

Anonymous said...

ok-- all of you Iowa People,

I HATE THE WAY THE GUY ON TV SAYS,

"AT TOY-OTA of DES-MOINES"

anyone?

Finding My New Normal said...

I have a friend from Iowa who says Oinge instead of orange and that drives me crazy.

I say ant for Aunt and my husband hates it.

People here in MN tend to slur or run their words together and often say something that sounds like Ine (rhymes with mine) instead of I'm.

I HATE when people say I seen that.

Anonymous said...

I use a phrase that always causes my co-workers to giggle...I say "push the door to." Thought it was a common phrase but guess not.

Unknown said...

My husband laughs every time I say draw instead of drawer. (I'm from Mass.)

My biggest pet peeve is when people say heigth instead of height. THERE IS A T AT THE END. NOT AN H!!!

Lynanne said...

Oh my garsh (LOL) I had posted a bunch of words and then closed the comment box by mistake.

Some of the ones that I can remember:

Ruff (instead in roof that should rhyme with tooth)
Siddy (for city)
rurrl (rural - should be 2 syllables)
budder (butter)
caddle (cattle)
warsh (wash)

My husband used to tease me about these and more, though I've lost most of my small-town accent in recent years. In all fairness, I sometimes tease my husband as well. He's lost most of his British-English and Norwegian accents but I still catch him on occasion. When I first met him, he asked me if I lived anywhere near Deh-Mwah. I didn't have the foggiest idea what he was asking until he said "You know, the capital of Iowa." He was pronouncing it like he thought it would be pronounced in French! :)