Monday, March 13, 2006

Random Observations

Yesterday in the rain I ventured out of my house to run to work. I had to retrieve a form that Jake's friend had to sign to get his tax return filed. The kid has 2 W-2's and I've been chasing him around for 4 weeks to get him to sign this damn form. Last year I think he paid H&R block $200 to do his return. Who pays that much for a return consisting of 2 W-2's?? Al, I love you, but I think you got bent over on that deal!!

Anyhow, at some point I asked him whether he would like to direct deposit his refund, to which he replied, "I don't have a bank account." How in the world does one live without a bank account? How do you pay bills?? Cash and money order I suppose. However, there can't be anything too convenient about that. I suppose that is why he has not saved any money. If I was carrying around all the money I had in my pocket I think I would be more likely to spend it too.

After I quickly snuck into work, (I say snuck for two reasons. Number one if anyone saw me they might ask me to do something and I was not there to work and number two it was early and I had thrown on the same outfit from the day before so I didn't need anyone noticing that. Although I work with a bunch of guys so they probably would have no idea that it was the same outfit... but I digress...) I decided to make a quick stop at Wal-mart. Yes, I was somewhat grungy but it's Wal-mart. Who isn't somewhat grungy in that place? Now don't get me wrong, I love Wal-mart. I buy EVERYTHING there, but it's not exactly a place where one cares how they look. Now if I'm going across the street to Target, I better shower and take of my sweats....

Digressing again, had a point... I promise. While in Wal-mart picking up garbage bags (yes Danette, I have been out of garbage bags for a week... it's a good thing we don't throw THAT much away...) I decided to stop by the CD section. When I'm depressed I do a combination of two destructive things. Number one I eat (it was only 8 chewy chips ahoy cookies for breakfast) and I shop. Not like clothes shopping, that would make me more depressed. I shop for meaningless Wal-mart type crap. Yesterday I bought 4 CD's. Last time it was $300 worth of DVD's... I'm improving!!

When I got to the car I decided to open these CD's. Silly me.. it requires some sub-human skills to open a CD. Like a DVD getting the plastic wrapping off is easy. It's those crappy sticker things that cover every open crack that really get you. Sometimes they peal off easily. Other times they leave a sticky residue so your CD sticks to every surface you set it on. I am now carrying with me bits and pieces of my house everywhere I go.

What is the point of the stickers that close off every opening of the CD?? Do they think that someone who wants to steal a CD going to go to the trouble of taking off that crappy plastic shrink wrap and then say damn... foiled by the stickers?? I understand that they provide a way to know if the CD has been opened, but only to a certain extent. If a person is really trying to return a CD case without the CD or some such nonsense... don't you think that they would only pull off one side of the sticker... open the case and then replace the stickers??

This morning, silly me, I decided I wanted to listen to a different CD on my way to work. Imagine me, trying to drive and get into the packaging of the CD. All I can say is I'm sorry to all of the other drivers who thought I was drunk as I was weaving in my lane trying to drive with my knee and cussing the packaging.

CD Packing Designer people... you are not my friends this morning!!

3 comments:

Tink said...

Are they your friends on a normal day? You're way too kind :).

Lynanne said...

$200 for a tax return - wowza! I never realized they were that expensive. We've been spoiled by an accountant in North Iowa who charges less than $100.

About the CD packing: one gripe to add to your list.. How in the heck can they cut that plastic wrap so precisely that its it's impossible to find a lose edge to open yet they can't cut the darn paper cover straight to keep it from slipping out of the slots and blocking the case from closing?

Anonymous said...

Know what you mean about the CD packaging...somebody's practical joke I'm sure. I too have tried to open one while driving...a very scary experience. Death by CD case not a good way to go.