Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Dinner, Dancing, & a Trip to the Emergency Room

So on Friday...

Yes I know, I'm a little late in posting this. However, I figured today would be a perfect day to do it. I want to take every advantage of this 06/06/06 date you know!! Besides, I've been busy, what with the sleeping, and the eating, and the laundry.

Oh, the laundry.

No, I have not dug myself out yet. Yes, the underwear I'm wearing are clean. So is the shirt. The rest... well it looks clean damn it. And I'm trying here... I never claimed to be Suzy homemaker or anything!!

Do you want to hear this story or not?

Fine!! AS I WAS SAYING...

On Friday Danette, Matt, Jake and I (and the two kidlets) decided that it would be nice to go out to dinner. So we called ahead to this restaurant so that could wait at home, instead of there. Hoping to avoid as many tantrums and meltdowns as possible. You know how impatient my husband can be!! ;-)

When we arrive we were seated right away. The wait was not too long for our food and while we were waiting Emma got to dance with the waitress. See in this restaurant when Cotton Eyed Joe comes on all of the waiters and waitresses dance. Emma LOVES to dance so this was a big deal to her.

After we were all done eating Danette decided to take the kids outside to walk around while we waited on our bill. Jake went into the bathroom so it was just Matt & I sitting at the table. I was digging in my purse when I heard him exclaim oh shit and jump up from the table. I didn't think anything of it. I just thought that he didn't have the card and he had to go get it from Danette outside.

The next thing I know they both come back from the area of the bathroom and Danette is holding Bryce and they are both covered in blood. This can not be good!! We jump up quickly and check out as fast as they can run the cards through the machine. Jake is out in the car with the kids when Danette comes in to get ice for Bryce's head.

Unfortunately the manager of this particular establishment was more concerned with her liability than with the child's well being. She made Danette stand inside for almost five minutes and give her a detailed account of what happened and how he was hurt so she could write it all down.

Finally we made it out to the car to examine the damage. The cut had stopped bleeding by this point so we were able to get a pretty good look at it. Apparently he had been walking on the sidewalk and had tripped, possibly on a rock, and had fallen into a pipe that was protruding out of the ground. The gash on his head was not huge, maybe a quarter to half an inch. However, since it was on his face and since it was somewhat deep the decision was made to take him to the emergency room.

On the way Danette made the comment that she had just finished paying off his last emergency room visit. (He had the croop.) It was then that we decided that if you have a boy you should receive a punch card when he is born. After the 10th trip to the emergency room the 11th is free!! With as many times as that kid face plants off of things or trips and smacks his head she could have that card filled up in no time!!

Once we got to the emergency room it was around 8:30. At 11:00 we finally got to leave. Yes, that's right... it took them 2 1/2 hours to put three stitches in his head!! It only took them 15 minutes or so to take him into the back, so the remaining time was spent with Jake and I, in the lobby trying to entertain Emma.

Let's just say they went on SEVERAL walks while I sat there hoping that every time the door opened it would be them. Bryce is handling his stitches like a trooper though. To prove that he was perfectly fine he decided to fall into the trash can in the van on Saturday and give himself a nice bruise on his cheek. Then later in the day he thought it would be delightful if he fell on the deck and smashed the back of his head and then fell one more time just for good measure.

I'm telling you, that punch card could really come in handy!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are called rubber padded rooms for a reason....CHILD SAFETY!
Poor Bryce! Hope he gets better soon and no more trips to the ER.

Anonymous said...

I think that it should be a child punch card... my parents once made a trip to the ER every weekend for 4 in a row. It was for each member of our family... I think that they thought something was up!

Bob said...

I'm going to pee my pants!!!!!

I thought mine was the only one and that social services would soon be at my door!!!!

Tink said...

"It was then that we decided that if you have a boy you should receive a punch card when he is born. After the 10th trip to the emergency room the 11th is free!!"

I will totally sign a petition for that. I can't count how many times my Mom had to run my little bros to the hospital. She started keeping a first aid kit in the car! LOL