Friday, June 30, 2006

Slower Pace

Lately I've been feeling a lot like Diane Keaton in that 80's movie Baby Boom. Have you all seen it? The scene that keeps playing in my head is the one where she is pushing the baby stroller down the street and she keeps getting passed by all of these business women. So, she tries to keep up, but then finally gives up and resigns herself to the slower pace.

That is me lately. I used to be a really fast walker. My mother practically sprints everywhere she goes, so I had to keep up. But lately, instead of Jake telling me to wait up, I have been the one telling him to slow down. Why is he in such a hurry?

I'm not sure how it happened really. Maybe it was the turtles pace I had to move at when I thought I was going to be sick every 5 minutes. Maybe it was the fact that for awhile there, after I first got pregnant, I got winded really easily so I had to slow it down. Who knows, but whatever it was, now that I've slowed it down, I actually enjoy my slower gait.

It seems strange to me that without me knowing it, this little one is already preparing me for what is ahead. The worry, the being up 5 times a night, the slower pace of life. Every day I am more and more amazed at how things are changing, and s/he isn't even here yet.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I can definitely relate to the slower pace. I was forced to slow down everything (movement, workload, etc.) when I was feeling really sick, but even though I (usually) feel much better now, I still prefer moving along at a leisurely pace. Very unusual for me, as I've always been in constant motion, but I think I actually like things better this way.

Tink said...

Hey girl, I posted your "prize post" on Monday. Go check it out! You doing OK?

#1 Dancer said...

Hey!! Didn't you have an appt. yesterday? And a u/s? Mine got canceled. It's rescheduled for next Tuesday, but I wanted to see how yours went. I didn't imagine that, did I??
Waiting anxiously...