Monday, January 16, 2006

The Little Dishwasher That Could...(or couldn't)

On Saturday Keith came over to install a dishwasher in our kitchen. I know, we've lived there for three and a half years with out one, how have we managed? It's been tough. There have been SEVERAL times when every piece of silverware and every glass we own was dirty and then we would decide, maybe we should do dishes?

So, on Saturday, we decided it was time. Keith had gotten this dishwasher about 6 or 8 months ago from a client. They were just moving in and were getting all new appliances and new floor coverings. When he saw the dishwasher sitting on the curb he immediately thought of us. They assured him that there was nothing wrong with it, they just didn't want it, so he loaded it up and put it in his garage. That is where it has sat since.

Right after he got it, I was really excited about putting it in so I cleared a few weekends in a row for him to come and help Jake put it in. Something always came up. So, every couple of weeks when I would go to his house, I would see it sitting there, very much alone. It was like a visitation program. I could visit, but it could never come home with me.

Finally, last week I decided enough was enough. Keith needed my help getting some paperwork in order so I told him I would spend all day Sunday doing his paperwork, but the following weekend he was at my house whether he liked it or not. Well, that seemed to work. Saturday when I got home from work I had a dishwasher. I now have no where to store my medicines and tupperware, but that's an entirely different battle. One I'm willing to fight at another time.

Saturday when he left he ran the dishwasher to make sure it did not leak. We did not see any water so Sunday he came back and put the front cover on and away he went. About 30 minutes later Matt was in our basement attempting to fix an electrical problem when I hear, "Did you know your dishwasher is leaking?"

Yes, my friend, my free dishwasher is leaking. They think that it sat so long that the seal dried out. I hope that is the case, because there is no turning back now. If it costs too much to fix it we will have to get another one, otherwise we now have a place for a built-in dishwasher, and no dishwasher.

Is this why they always say nothing is as good as it seems?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Dear....it could be far worse, as it could have ruined your hardwood floor causing you to have your floor refinished twice.
The perks of being a homeowner never ends, does they?

Ditsy Chick said...

Ahh, the joys of home ownership. I suggest paper plates and plastic silverware, as we fought over who has to put dishes away and reload the dishwasher.

Tink said...

I had a "free" washing machine that stained the first huge load I did with rust and a "free" dryer that blew the main electric line to my house. Fun stuff. Never trust "free" girl.