Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Insurance Gamble

Four months ago Jake and I took the insurance gamble. It is that point at which one person switches jobs and they are told you will not be eligible for insurance for 6 months. So, we did an analysis. Prescriptions $65 per month, Major Medical $125, COBRA $205.

Can you guess which one we choose? Yesterday I discovered why I don't gamble. I should ALWAYS take the safe bet, even if it costs more money. Keep reminding me of that will ya?? In all fairness, I had PLANNED on getting the major medical insurance. I got the forms, but never got around to filling them out. Now, I'm kicking myself.

It was around 11:30 when my phone rang. It was Jake, no big deal. Until this comes out of his mouth:

"Do I have temporary insurance?"

"No...... why??......."

"Um, I just cut my finger, and I think I'm going to need stitches."

Me, the terrible wife is running through scenarios in my head. Can he just tape it? Will that be good enough? What if I buy some of that new skin stuff? Can I make it good enough?

"So, how bad is it?"

"Well it's pretty deep."

So, off to the emergency walk in clinic he goes. He ended up needing four stitches, probably more than my taping and new skinning would have fixed. I have yet to see the bill for this un-insured visit, but I have the feeling that the money we would have spent on insurance is going to go for that bill.

4 comments:

Tink said...

Oh! That's awful. This is Karma, girl. She's a bitch. The one time I lapsed on inbetween-job insurance I got my hand sliced open. I'm so sorry. Here's to hoping for cheap bills.

Bob said...

You should check to make sure you have your dates right, I believe you have at lest 90 days to make your COBRA decision. So if on day 89, you have to go to the hospital, you can call the right people and get your cobra election in nder the wire. I know in my case I have 90 days, it may be different with different insurance companies. My HR rep told me just to wait to see if anything happened that would be a higher cost than just paying out of pocket.

Ditsy Chick said...

That sounds like me....I got the forms and never filled them out...

I hope your bills are not too big, oh, uh and your hubs is okay, too.

Anonymous said...

did he do it at work? Shouldn't they have covered it?