Monday, February 20, 2006

The Long Road to Nowhere

Put on your comfy sweats and settle in people... this is going to be a LONG post... And for those of you who have an aversion to womanly topics, you might want to skip this one. I tend to ramble a little and do use the word Period, quite frequently.


Okay internet, I have a confession to make. I have been keeping a secret from you. And trust me, I am not the type to keep secrets. For 21 days I have been wanting to post about this but I have yet to find the right words.

Hold up... I just got a flash back to Sandra Bullock in 28 days. No, I'm not in rehab... there that myth dispelled, moving on....

Eleven days ago my sister-in-law had a baby. He's adorable. (No, I'm not going to post pictures. Sorry, but he's not mine to post pictures of. I don't mind posting pictures of adults, but I won't post them of children without prior parental consent. Sorry... them's the rules.)

Anyhow, I'm stalling, can you tell? So, eleven days ago this little boy was brought into this world and I can't look at him. Every time I see his picture it hurts. It hurts in every fiber of my being. I did not have any idea the ache I could feel until now.

Ever since I was little I knew I wanted children. I was one of those people who just thought, I'll grow up, get married and then have babies. So, I had a plan. Two years ago we got married, and then we thought, we'll wait at least a year to start trying. After a year, we thought, hmm... let's give it another year, plan around tax season and get a few more things paid off.

So, here we are, almost two and a half years later and people, I don't ovulate. Up until this point, I had tried to convince myself that maybe it was normal. Some times it takes people a year to get pregnant. I tried to ignore the fact that my periods were, as my doctor puts it, "not normal." Hey, nothing about me has ever been normal, so why should this.

When we first went off birth control my first period came at 28 days, just like clockwork. The second month 28 days came and went and we thought... "It worked, we're pregnant!!" (I know delusional aren't I?) I think it was in that 5th week, when all the pregnancy tests kept coming back negative that I knew something wasn't normal. Finally on day 35 I started.

At this point, I talked with our family physician. She said that to some people, 35 days is normal, and since I was just two months off the pill my body was still trying to figure its self out. Yet, in the back of my mind, I new something just wasn't right. The next month was 37, then 46 and finally 43. It was on that day 43, January 31st when I had my appointment with my doctor.

I have to digress here for just a brief moment. Some of you may remember this post, where I said that there has always been a possibility that we couldn't have children, but I was okay with that. What has changed you ask? Nothing really, I just think that with anything there is always a grieving period. It is not that we are SOO dead set on having biological children that we blocked everything out of our minds. It just feels like, for us, the logical step at this point is to try the minimally evasive treatments first and then make the big decisions later. Also, as I said before, thinking you can't have biological children and being told that you are not ovulating are two very different things. Before it was just a concept, now it is a reality. And I'm having a little trouble dealing with the reality, that's all.

During my appointment he basically told me that given my irregularity there was a high probability that I was not ovulating and even if I was Jake and I would have to be going at it like rabbits for 6 weeks straight to have a chance of catching the right time. Now as appealing as that sounds to my husband I do need to sleep SOMETIME!!

So, on February 2nd I started down that long infertility road with my first dose of Clomid. Like a little school girl, I was giddy with excitement. I thought for certain that this would work. I was convinced in 28 days I would be staring at two pink lines. In fact, that's the reason I did not write about it.

I was so certain that we would be pregnant, and then I would just feel stupid for writing about "infertility" when I wasn't infertile at all. Then, today came. Today was day 21. Now as all of you who have ever been on Clomid know, day 21 is the day of reckoning. This is the day you have your blood drawn and they tell you what your progesterone level is. This basically tells you whether you ovulated or not.

Mine was a not. At 4:30 this afternoon the nurse practitioner called to give me the news. "Well, your progesterone level was a little low. Your level was 0.4. We normally like it to be above 10." A little low? Lady that sounds sub-zero to me!!

So, here I sit, having done absolutely NO work since she called and wallowing in my own self-pity. I don't want my sister-in-law to feel bad about sending me pictures of Jackson, I want to see him. I'm SOO happy for her. However, that said, it is just SOO damn hard to be surrounded by all of these fertile women. Three of my good friends have all had babies within the last year and a half and all of them got pregnant on their first try.

When I walk through the skywalks downtown I find myself drawn to all of the pregnant women. I keep wondering in the back of my mind, did they have troubles? I just feel like I'm in a fog. Like no one understands what is going through my mind. After all, as much as I love my friends, they are not exactly "experienced" in this area.

Do you know how tired I am of hearing people tell me to just relax? Relax and it will happen. I'm sure any of you who have struggled with infertility have heard the same thing. Where do people come up with this? Is there some unwritten rule that says if you come across a women who tells you that she is having fertility problems, tell her to relax? Well, let me tell you, it doesn't work. My most relaxed, carefree months got me 46 and 43 days respectively.

So where do we go from here? Well, now there is more waiting. The doctor will be in the office tomorrow and then he, or his nurse most likely, will call me and tell me if they want to do more tests, or start another higher dose of Clomid. Then there is more waiting for my period to start. I'm hoping not another three weeks, however I am crossing my fingers that perhaps within the time that I am waiting my body will miraculously wake it's self up and I will ovulate.

Hey, a girl can dream can't she?

14 comments:

Missuz J said...

Sending ovulatory vibes your way.

Korin said...

That is seriously sucky news. Clomid itself stinks.. but higher doses of clomid eat ass.

Hey, nothing wrong with dreaming.. I remember dreaming that just ONE of my hubby's sperm wouldn't have antibodies and it would fight it's way to my waiting eggs. I didn't hold that dream too high....

I hope a higher dose of Clomid does the trick.... cause you don't wanna know what comes next ;)

Ditsy Chick said...

I'll donate my periods to you....no, really, you can have them all....

Honestly, I hope it all works out, don't relax though, you do have to "get at it like rabbits" to get pregnant, relaxing won't get you anywhere.

Jessica said...

I would like to think of myself as one of those "close friends" you referred to and as you know my husband and I have been....mmm-how do I put this....NOT buying stock in the birth control market for at least the past six years, 2,190 days, 52,560 hours you get my drift . We have never been pregnant, now have we set out to get
pregnant....no....but it is never-the-less dissappointing to realize that our fertility path (should we decide to travel it) will be a windy one with a million forks in the road.

Anonymous said...

I know that I am one of those freinds that got pregnant on the first try, and I am sure that the last thing that you want me to do is "Feel sorry" for you- so I won't... because you are the most strong willed person I know. Of course you are allowed all of the grieving time you need - but in the end and one way or the other- you will have not only a child, but a child that you can TRULY SAY was gifted from god.

I am always here for you- I think that you are an amazing person to be able to share such an initmate subject.

Tink said...

Hang in there girl! I'm doing fertility dances in my head for you.

Anonymous said...

I hear you loud and clear. Coming off my third miscarriage in 9 months with no babies, it sucks. Sending good vibes your way.

Finding My New Normal said...

I am meeting with my Doctor today to start the whole "why aren't we getting pregnant?" process. I ovulate and have regular periods and yet nothing in almost 4 years. All my friends have babies and are now on their 2nd and 3rd children. We are so far behind.

#1 Dancer said...

Hi Heather. Thanks for posting. I really appreciate all the input I can get.
I was on a board of TTC ladies over at ivillage for about 8 months. (TTC is short for Trying To Conceive, if you didn't already know.) We started a buddy group and then posted about what we did that day, TTC related or not. My story is different from yours, but I want to tell you about another friend of mine who went through EXACTLY what you're going through. Except that she waited 8 months to get it figured out. She got pregnant after 4 cycles of Clomid, dose of 200? I think, and just found out it's a girl last week.
Point being, I understand. I'm NOT going to tell you to relax (HATE IT!!) and don't lose hope. There's a reason for everything and the perfect child will come along at exactly the perfect moment.

Anonymous said...

Heather, Your are one of the strongest women I know & I have & will support you in everything you do. I'm not going to sit & feel sorry for you, because it's going to happen when it's time one way or another you will be a mother. I know I have told you to relax & not stress yourself out & I know that is not possible,I don't know what your going through (since Emmersyn & Bryceton are both here without any problems), but I do know you & that I'm here to listen or just be here for you.

Jen said...

Hi Heather, thanks for commenting on my blog. I can definitely relate to your frustration. I remember the first time I tried Clomid, I was so nervous and excited because I thought, "This is it! Once I pop these suckers into my mouth, my ovaries are going to go into overdrive and I'm going to be pregnant in a couple weeks!" Obviously, that wasn't the case, and that first failed Clomid cycle was a hard blow. If you end up trying a higher dose of Clomid, I hope you find success. Also, keep in mind that there are other oral meds that have been successful for women who don't ovulate. If you have insulin resistance, then Metformin might be a good one to try (though the side effects can be SEVERE, so be forewarned!), or you can try an aromatase inhibitor like Femara (letrozole), which has far fewer side effects than Clomid. I know, all these different drugs can sometimes boggle the mind, but I just wanted to throw out those options to let you know that there are lots of different treatments that can be effective when it comes to anovulation. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

You can take this as assvice if you want to, but have you been tested for PCOS? It's a form of insulin resistance, like Ornery mentioned, and women who have it can be resistant to Clomid. I know from whence I come, as my cycles pre-Metformin are approximately 45 days long, and 3 cycles of Clomid (50, 100, and 100) did basically nothing to get me ovulating sooner. Clomid resistance is a hallmark of PCOS, as are the long and irregular cycles. I was diagnosed with PCOS in January 2003 after a year of TTC, started Metformin, and got pregnant with our son at the end of March. I conceived P on a d33 ovulation...just because you have long cycles doesn't mean you're not ovulating! Have you tried charting your cycles to see if you are or not? That was one of the most valuable pieces of information for my RE--he could see that even though I have absurdly long cycles, I was still ovulating.

As far as the side effects of Metformin, I have experienced almost none after the initial adjustment period. We're now TTC#2 and it's not going as easily this time. And, while Clomid didn't help before Metformin, I tried a dose of 25 mg 3 cycles ago and ovulated on day 17--a personal best!

Anyway, I would suggest charting to find out what's going on with your cycles (Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler is a great book for teaching you how), and seeing about having a PCOS test done. They both made a huge difference for me in conceiving our son.

And now I'll stop hijacking your blog--I have my own on which to babble!

Lynanne said...

Oh gosh Heather, I was so sorry to read about your struggles with infertility. Here I have been posting on your blog and I never knew how much it probably stung. I truly am very sorry.

I have never gone through what you are experiencing, but I have two friends who did - both while I was pregnant myself. I can't describe the guilt I felt. I'm not an overly religious person but I prayed and prayed for them. I pray that your dreams come true also.

A friend of mine once told me to think of life's challenges not as obstacles but as hurdles. They may be taller than you’d like and you may fall on your face into the cinders once too many times. Somehow, though, you’ll reach your goal.

Again, I’m sorry… I wish I knew the right things to say.

Anonymous said...

Please check and see if it's PCOS!! I have it and now have 2 beautiful boys. check this out: http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-bhpcos