Sunday, February 12, 2006

That will Teach Me to Leave Town!!

Holy Hell!! Apparently while I've been away all has gone to hell in a hand basket in the blogger world. I've missed it, but I've spent the last hour or so attempting to get caught up. The jest of it, or what I can figure out is that this person created a blog where they nominate fellow bloggers for awards. Only these are not your usual best blogger awards. These awards were nasty in character and attacked several of the bloggers that I read, (i.e. Karen, Tertia, & Julie) and also some that I don't (Jo, Julia).

What really floors me about this is what makes her think she has the right to judge these people? They are writing about their lives, not hers. Why should she pass judgment and try to tear them down? These women are great, from what I read on their blogs, and I look up to and aspire to one day be as popular as them. I don't understand why we as a society always feel that we need to tear others to pieces in order make ourselves feel better?

I now know why people sensor what they put on their blogs. Jake and I have been having some "conception" issues and I have agonized about whether to post about them or not. I have not yet gotten the courage to write about them, and things like this make me wonder whether I ever will. It just feels like a perpetual highschool drama to me, and people, I graduated and ran from that place as fast as I could for a reason. I have NO desire to go back!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so highschool I think a new zit just popped out on my chin! I had such a miserable high school experience I became a high school teacher to make up for it. And now I'm living it in my personal life! Agh!!

Karen/naked ovary

Anne said...

Would this nasty outbreak of bitchiness have occurred amongst a group of Men bloggers I wonder? What is it with women that so often they have to put others down (in order to feel better about themselves?)?!
I read the offending bog...oops, lol blog, and it made me feel a bit sick.
Oh..incidentally, just looked up "Bog": A bog is a standing body of water with no underground spring of fresh water to feed it. The water is generally cold, extremely acidic and low in oxygen.
I adore Karen's blog, she's a strong and generous lady. This other person...entertaining perhaps(?), but there's more than a touch of a BOG about her latest endeavours!

Korin said...

Hi! THanks for commenting.. I truly hope you find the courage to post about your conception issues... Blogging about it (I have an infertility blog that is private after finding out a coworker was reading it) made all the difference in the world. Even if it wasn't ever popular ;)

Yes, the whole mess withthe bad blog awards was/is horrible. I never read Aitch before... and won't now.
Nice to meet you :)

Anonymous said...

I was just wondering (as I vainly stared at myself in the mirror) this morning what the hell is up with the FOUR, yes you read right, FOUR zits i have on my chin, now i know, it is the high school influence ;-)

thanks for your support dahling

Tertia
xx

Anonymous said...

Wait just a second. What The Aitch wrote was intended to be read by a private audience and was password protected. She has the right to write what she wants as much as you have a right to not want to read it, and if I'm correct you still can't read what started this all on her site where it originated without approval. Her mistake was in not screening the people who desired access to her private stuff well enough. That's it. What she wrote and who she wrote about is irrelevant. She tried to take precautions to keep what happened from happening; someone (or multiple someones) she trusted turned on her.

My belief is that if you write a blog and make it public you open yourself up to criticism. You might not like that criticism, and if you wish to not receive criticism you should make your blog password protected and only allow those you want to read it. Celebrities are "normal people" too and they can't get photographers out of their faces. Blog "stars" need to understand that they can't have it only their ways.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sick of the "someone turned her in" defense. Give me a break sc. Opening yourself up to (constructive, respectful) criticism is one thing. Snark is one thing. But what Aitch and said commenters did, what you are defending, was just wrong, and you all know it.

Also, let's can the "women do this" explanation. The patriarchy thrives on this. It's a shame that Aitch and others had to go and prove the "women are catty and talk about each other" stereotype true. That just sucks.

-Lurker

Heather: nice blog, i'm glad I found it in the midst of this immature circus.

Anonymous said...

Hey sc: I just read your site and see that you called the women involved "dumb sluts" who found other "dumb sluts." At least I now know what I'm dealing with. Please disregard the respectful tone of my last post (Lurker).

You're doing a great job for the patriarchy! It salutes you.

-Lurker

Heather said...

As a general rule I'm not really inclined to support personal attacks on anyone. I will leave up the comments, because I don't think that they are too personal or attacking in nature. However, please everyone, try to keep things adult like.

Thank you,
The Management

Anonymous said...

sen·sor
1. A device, such as a photoelectric cell, that receives and responds to a signal or stimulus.
2. See sense organ.


cen·sor
1. A person authorized to examine books, films, or other material and to remove or suppress what is considered morally, politically, or otherwise objectionable.
3. One that condemns or censures.
4. One of two officials in ancient Rome responsible for taking the public census and supervising public behavior and morals.