Friday, November 11, 2005

Beating the System

My good friend Jess has a story that I think all of you should read. Go ahead, read it, I'll be here when you get back. Okay, now that you're up to speed (literally) with the situation, let me do a little of my own venting.

As a person who is married to someone who has had his fair share of run ins with the law it INFURIATES me that someone could so blatantly break the law and get off so easily. When I was growing up my parents always said it is not what you know it is who you know. I never put much stock in this saying until this happened.

Do you think for one moment that if Jake, or even I for that matter, had plowed through someone's mailbox and yard and truck and then LEFT THE SCENE OF AN ACCIDENT we would have gotten off with just "failure to maintain control of a vehicle." Where is the leaving the scene of an accident? Hindering an investigation (he lied to the officer at first)? Anything??

I told Jess that she should call KCCI, WHO, WOI, anyone. Make a big deal about it.... this is a city council man. However, it is not my story so I will just vent to you, my 10 readers, and hope maybe you will tell 10 of your friends about this injustice, and maybe they will tell 10 of their friends... you get the point.

Someone needs to make it known that we know what is going on, and we are not okay with the police making "family" exceptions. If you screw up, you should have to pay for it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your parents are right. It's always been that way, it will always be that way. Those of us who play by the rules get ****** every time.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this on your blog! I want everyone to know what these people who represent our city have done to my dad/parents. Just because it is a wise-old tale of, it is who you know not what you know, doesn't mean that we can't break it. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Wow... Though I have to say I have never had a high respect for the way these things are handled - whether the police know the person involved or not... let us just say it seems that they protect the defendants right more than they try to get justice for the plantiff.