Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Mortality

This is not what I set out to post about, but ever since I read this story this morning it is all that is running through my head. I, along with millions of other Americans watched in horror last week as the story of Kara Borden and David Ludwig unfolded. Kara, who is 14, got into an argument with her parents after she apparently was late getting home. She had been secretly seeing David, who is 18, and they also told her she couldn't see him anymore.

The argument apparently made David so angry that he plotted to kill her parents. Last weekend he came into their house and shot both of her parents, in front of her little sister, and then walked through the house calling for Kara while her little brother ran next door to call the police.
When the story broke Kara was missing. My assumption, and I'm sure several other people's, was that Kara had been kidnapped. This boy whom she thought she could trust had just slaughtered her parents and once he found her she feared for her life and so she went with him.

Today, the truth has come out. David walked through the house looking for Kara but could not find her. He then got into his car and began to drive off when he noticed her running after him. This girl, who knew this boy had just killed her parents, willing ran away with him hoping to get married and start a new life together.

People, how in the WORLD did it come to this? I'm trying to think back to being 14 (bear with me, it was awhile ago) and I know that I remember hating my parents. I know that I remember wishing that they would go away and leave me alone. I may have even wished they were dead, but I can GUARANTEE you, with 100% certainty that if someone (boyfriend or no boyfriend) had come into my house and shot them, the last thing you would find me doing was running after his car to go with him!!

Now, I have been told that at 14 most children are not fully aware that death is permanent. In fact, until children are 18 or 19 they are also not fully aware of their own mortality. This is the reason that teenagers tend to take more risks, drive more recklessly, and are now into playing the new choking game.

Just last night I watched an episode of CSI in which they portrayed a group of teenagers who had gotten bored with their video game and so they had decided to make it into real life. Now I understand that this is just a TV show, but there have been roomers that this is exactly the sort of thing that the boys did at Columbine. In the video game they shoot people for points. It doesn't hurt the imaginary people, they are just objects to be conquered. If children don't understand this line, or become desensitized to it, it could be easy for them not to fully understand what happens when someone is shot.

These excuses aside, our nation as a whole is becoming more and more violent. How do we make our children understand that violence is not a game? Especially when they see it on TV, watch it in the movies, and play it on video games?

I know how I understood it, but it is probably not the answer for everyone. I was a farmer's daughter. I saw hogs get slaughtered for the annual hog roast. I watched my parents bury our pets when they had been hit on the road. I was VERY aware that once someone or something died, it was never coming back. At the age of 13 I fell from a horse and broke my fall with my face. I blacked out and do not remember anything from the fall to the ambulance. I was also aware that I could be injured and could possibly die.

However, we can not take all of the children of the world out into the woods and let them watch someone hunt an animal. It's not practical, not to mention a little morbid for a school subject. So how do we do it? How do we make our children understand that killing someone in real life is not like it is in a video game? That their life is precious and that they can't do dangerous things without risking the possibility of ending of it?

I don't even have children yet, and it makes me want to put my imagined children in a bubble. My heart is SO sad for this girl. I know, or at least my optimistic heart hopes, that one day she will look back on this and be very sad. One day, probably in the near future, it is going to come crashing down on her that she will NEVER see her parents again. I hope, at that point, that someone is there for her. To hold her, to guide her, and to help her teach others so that this does not happen again.

In the end, I suppose it is up to each one of us. We need to address this problem head on, instead of sweeping it under the rug. If we don't ignore this type of violence, but instead talk with our children about it and help them to understand I think we can save several young lives. Maybe one of them will belong to someone you know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And you ask me why we don't want to have children???

Heather said...

I don't think just abstaining from having children is exactly the right answer. There has to be a better one than that!!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ said...

Kids ARE worth having! I have 9 living children - and would not trade them for the world, or the precious times.

Last reported there were 500 deaths in 2004 of this "choking game". Kids think nothing will hurt them - this is not a drug - just one time, etc. My son was one of them. He was only 16. And despite losing him and going through this awful pain, yes I am so thankful to have had him - to have loved him - than not having him at all. He was a "good kid". He would have never tried drugs. He loved life - loved his 9 siblings - and most of all loved God. He had compassion for people. But, he learned of a game - this game he lost - lost his life. He tried the "choking game". His 11 year old brother found him hanging. His 15 year old brother cut him down. We are at almost a year since his death, and it's still very hard. This game is dangerous, foolish, and mostly likely WILL cause death. It's not worth the risk. I know. I miss my son.
Matthew's Story

Journaling through the Valley Blog

Anonymous said...

This is a touchy subject... and I have some conflicting feelings about it. First, I think that this boy that killed his girlfriends parents is obviously mentlaly ill. that can be the only explanation... As for the girl... it is beyond me to geuss what was going through her mind? It is the parents job to educate their children - but there is a limit to what a child will listen to...

To not have a child - because they may make mistakes... or they "may" do something wrong... well - that is ignorant. Everyone is guilty of making mistakes and hurting others. That is human nature.

To have children is a personal decision, but the reasoning behind that decision should not be based on other peoples mistakes.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe that looking at ALL the deciding factors on whether my husband and I want to have children is "ignorant". There are obviously reasons closer to home for us.
I do believe that parents give their children the tools to be productive compassionate individuals. I also believe that most children who "make mistakes" (wouldn't be the terminology I would use when a child murders someone) were probably taught better than that. However I do feel that there are many people out there that should not have children ever and some people not at the stage of their lives that they are in. So...What I really would have said, had I not been pushed for a comment :), was...it is my opinion that while you can not always control what your children do and the "mistakes" that they make, people should look at their own lives and values and make sure that they themselves (I would even go so far as to say family evaluation be neccesary) are leading a productive, healthly, lifestyle. If you are not how can you potray right from wrong to your children?
I don't know what the "right" reason is to have children, Shane and I have asked ourselves that many times, but I do see many people having children for what I would consider the "wrong" reasons.
Parents out there who are great parents leading happy healthy families deserve huge recognition!
Way to Go!