Monday, November 28, 2005

Black Friday

On Friday, I decided to brave the crowds and see what all of this after Thanksgiving shopping is all about. For the past SEVERAL years my motto has always been that I would rather pay a little more and not have to deal with the people and the lines than to go on this day. This year, Danette had this wonderful idea that we should get up at the crack of dawn and leave for the stores by 5:30. Gee, why hadn't I ever thought of that before? Really, I knew I kept her around for something!!

I for some lunatic reason agreed to go with her. Unfortunately since I was a "virgin" to this whole shopping mayhem I did not think to make a game plan. So, when I picked her up at 5:30 I had ABSOLUTELY no idea what I wanted, or even what was on sale. So, we started out at American. They had an over the range microwave there that she wanted to look at for her mom and dad. Seeing as how I had never done this before, and did not know what I was in for I was amazed when we pulled in to the parking lot only to find it was full.

Who gets up this early??

So, begrudgingly I dragged myself out of the car into the FREEZING cold to stand in line with the other idiots of the world. The line ran from the front door all the way down the sidewalk to the back of the building and then curved around and came back up through the parking lot. When the doors opened at 6:00 I was waiting to be trampled. It was like a fat man running for the last piece of chicken on the buffet. By the time we made it inside lines were already formed clear through the electronics section.

Apparently their hot item of the morning was IPODs and digital cameras. Needing neither of those, we made our way through the middle of the store to the appliances section. Back there it was dead. Apparently microwaves and dishwashers just don't get peoples motor running like cheap electronics. Either way, the microwave we wanted only came in black, so we headed out the door. As we were walking to the car we looked in the window and noticed that there were DVD players stacked in the window.

I wonder if they are having a sale on DVD players? (Note to self, next time just keep walking) Sure enough, they had a special $14 DVD player, after mail in rebate of course. Well since our DVD player had stopped working, I thought that $14 was not to bad to spend for one, so back in we went. It was at this point that I became convinced that the people in American were suicidal. If I would have been a gun carrying woman I may have shot someone. As we entered the TV/VCR/DVD player area I noticed a line. So we asked, "What is this line for?" Oh that line, well that is for everything. Yes... EVERYTHING!!

Why would they want to have a line for TV's and a line for DVD players, just put everyone in one line and let them battle it out. As we were standing there we noticed that not only was there only one line for everything, they were also following standard procedure to check people out. (i.e. they were taking everyone's name, address and telephone number and typing it into the computer) Finally someone came up and told us there was a shorter line in the back. So, back we went. Just a side note, don't you think it would have made more sense to put people who have an account in one line versus people who don't in another. Meaning that those with an account could just give their phone number and have their information come up and be on their way. I know, I'm asking too much.

Anyhow, when we got to the "shorter" line in the back we were behind three other people who also wanted the DVD player. The first woman was older (70's or 80's) and was writing a check. The man took her information, watched her write out the check and then handed her some paperwork and said take that, and your check to the desk to get your receipt. WHAT?? Have you ever seen and elderly lady write out a check? We waited for 5 minutes while she wrote it out only to have him tell her he wasn't even going to take it there!! Couldn't he have just said write your check out at the desk and they will give you your receipt?

Do you see where the gun could have gotten me in trouble? The next two ladies had credit cards, as did I, but that still did not rush the process much. Name, Address, Phone number, run the card, go over to ANOTHER desk, sign your credit card receipt, get your receipt. DVD Player?? No, you have to stand in THAT line over there that says pickups to get that..... Three lines later we had DVD player in hand and headed out to Best Buy.

They opened their doors at 5:00 so by 6:30 you would have thought that it would be clearing out a little. No such luck. The parking lot had a few open spots but mostly people were still inside, waiting in line most likely. I dropped Danette off so she could run inside and see if they had the microwave here. I found a spot and as I was walking in just marveled at the people I passed. Carts FULL of electronics. One couple had 2 printers, 2 Computers, and several other items I didn't get a close look at. They had at least 10 boxes on this flat cart they pushed out though. Another woman came out with her poor kids who looked like all they wanted to do was go back to bed. They looked to be 2 and 4. I'm not thinking there is any electronic device in the world worth dragging those poor kids out of bed for.

After I got inside I noticed that the DVD's that I wanted to look at ($5.99 & $6.99) were all just piled into these big bins for people to dig through. So, for the next 30 minutes or so, Danette and I dug through bins. I ended up with about 14 DVD's. Probably more than I needed (okay definitely more than I needed) but they were SOO cheap!! Of course all the cheap goodness came at a price. The price I had to pay was that line. Oh the dreaded Best Buy Day After Thanksgiving Line!!

On a brief side note, I would love to know what percentage of Best Buy's annual profits are generated on that day. I did a quick google search but didn't come up with anything and I didn't want to know bad enough to keep looking. However, I'm guessing it is a decent percentage, and I'm also guessing that it is partly because of that line. That was the only store we went to all day that had a line that ran from the front of the store to the back and wound you through every imaginable department. None of those rope line dividers for them. No, they wound you through actual merchandise in the hopes that you might see something that you just could not live without.

Once we emerged from that store we decided that a Target trip was in order. So, we headed to spot number three. There I got more DVD's at low, low prices and also a few Christmas gifts. After Target we headed to Merle Hay mall where I bought myself a wonderful pair of earrings (from my parents of course). Shhh... I have NO idea what is in that box. EARRINGS?? Why they are beautiful.. thank you.

We also attempted to get Bryce this REALLY cute Craftsman rolling tool chest. Unfortunately, I have picked the "hot" toy for the season and not only was Sears sold out, but every other store on-line is also sold out.

So, Danette and I decided, that since he is ONLY 15 months, he will not know if he gets the toy for Christmas or in January. So, I've decided to hold out until I find a cheap one on eBay (today they were $51, love ya buddy but not that much!!) or until they are back in stock.

Speaking of Sears, that was also where I had the following conversation with my dad. "So dad, hypothetically speaking, if someone were going to get you the wrenches you were looking at in the paper yesterday would you prefer standard or metric? Just hypothetically speaking of course." No, he has NOO idea what he's getting for Christmas!! Note to self, next time find out specifics before looking for tools that you know NOTHING about!!

After we left Merle Hay we headed to Home Depot in Ankeny. Danette wanted to look for a barbecue set and a wrapping paper holder. I liked the wrapping paper holder so much I bought one for myself. As for the barbecue set, we couldn't find it. When we inquired as to whether they were sold out we were informed that technically they were never in. I guess the Home Depot ad was a national ad, and those particular sets had never made it to that store.

Just for fun, after Home Depot we decided to head out to Jordan Creek. (I know, great planning huh? From one side of town to the other.) At the mall we got straight to business, Cinnabon. VERY important first stop. After that, hard core shopping. My mom decided to purchase me a new watch. (Shh... I don't know what's in that box either.) Then, as we were perusing the build a bear shop for a new outfit for Emma's bear I decided to call my mom and see what my sister wanted for Christmas and if she wanted me to pick up any gifts for her.

Since she is dealing with Clint I thought it would be helpful to her to not have to do as much shopping this year. (Hence buying the earrings and watch myself.) So, I got a list... and when I say a list, I mean a LIST. It was one of those oh I don't know what I need. I guess I need a pair of shoes, oh and I need this, oh and how about this, oh and then I need one of these and one of those... you get the point.

After I got "the list" I got my mom back on the phone and we discussed what she would like me to buy for Lindsay. At that point, my almost finished shopping day got a lot longer. It was around 12:30 when I talked to them and we were at the mall until around 2:00. Once we left the mall, we decided to make our third trip to Target, and stopped there on our way to the interstate. (If your counting that's Target off 141, Target in Merle Hay, and Target off Mills Civic Parkway)

Finally we were on our way back to our side of town. We made one more stop at Menards in Altoona and then back to Danette's by 3:30. In all, I finished shopping for five people and started a sixth. If nothing else, Friday forced me into the "holiday spirit." I even wrapped all of the presents last night which if I'm not mistaken is about 4 weeks earlier than I normally wrap anything, if it gets wrapped at all!! :-)

Here's a map of our adventures for your viewing pleasure!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you brave soul. I don't even remember the last time I was brave enough to go shopping on the day after Thanksgiving. Oh yea, that's right, I'm not much of a shopper. When I shop, I go - I buy - I go home. Keepin' it simple =>

Ditsy Chick said...

congratulations for surviving all of that. I finished shopping the day before Thanksgiving. That's a kinda crazy I thought I would never find myself inflicted with.