Saturday, November 26, 2005

Family Traditions

On Thursday, I spent my 26th Thanksgiving with my dad's family. This is the day that we also celebrate Christmas with them. It was decided early on that we would do Christmas then because Grandpa & Grandma used to go to Texas every year and they didn't want to have to wait until Christmas to go.

In the early years we would always go to my Aunt Sally's house. I remember playing in their basement and every 5 or 10 minutes we would send a different kid up the stairs to ask if it was time to open presents yet. In those days we got TWO whole presents!! We did a gift exchange with the other kids and then Grandpa and Grandma also got us something. Can you imagine? TWO whole presents an entire month early!!

When I look back on it now, I am so thankful to have had that time. Not necessarily the presents (although that was the highlight at the time) but the family time and the tradition of knowing that every year, on Thanksgiving we would see the same people to celebrate the holiday.

When Jake and I first got together I thought that we would have to start splitting our holidays. I admit, when I found out he didn't have any holiday traditions I was a little bit excited. That meant that I would still get to see my family every year. However, the older that we have gotten the more it has saddened me to realize that our children will probably not have those traditions with his family.

Last year, the one and only tradition that his family had did not happen. Every year on Christmas Eve they used to go to his Grandpa Frank's house for seafood gumbo. (Okay, for those of you who know me NO, I did not eat seafood gumbo, but I did go and it was a lot of fun) Last year we did not get together. I'm hoping that this year everyone can set aside their differences, even if it is only for one day, and celebrate together.

Of all the things I learned when I was little this was one of the things that was ingrained the deepest. Holidays were family times. This year, because my Uncle Clint is sick, we diverted a little from our normal tradition.

We started our day at my Aunt Sally's fiance John's house. There we celebrated with my dad's family and also John's three boys. It was good to meet them and spend the holiday with them. By this time next year they will be our step-cousins and our family will be four people bigger. (Maybe we should start that gift exchange thing back up again ;-)

Around six we left John's house and went to Ames to visit Clint. We don't normally see my mom's family on Thanksgiving, but I think he was glad to see all of us and to get to spend one last holiday with everyone. When we arrived my Aunt and three of my cousins were there. They left around 7:00 and we stayed until about 7:30.

It was wonderful to have that time with him, especially now that we know time is short. It is funny how when someone is dying everyone takes the time to be with them, even if they never saw them before. I think it really makes you think about putting your family in first. To me, this is why having family traditions is so important. In today's society our lives are so busy that often we don't have time for our own families. During the holidays and some other times during the year I always know I will get to see them.

On Easter I will get to see my mom's family, in May for our May birthday party my dad's family, in June for our family reunion my dad's family, in September for our family reunion my mom's family, also in September for our September birthday party my dad's family, then comes Thanksgiving with my dad's family and finally Christmas with my mom's family. Seven family traditions I hope to continue to enjoy with my children.

What are some of yours?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is why it is important for you and Jake to start your own family traditions. We have plenty of them too, but Shane and I are starting to get our own since we have bought our house. It is exciting for me to share the holidays with my best friend. That is tradition enough.